The Radnor Arms was a Fortified Medieval Welsh Hall House built in approximately 1375. It still retains many original features to include a multitude of original roof timbers and beams, and the original stone archway. This was the entrance to the building which would have had no windows, less 1 arrow slit window facing the hill from Abergavenny. There is an impressive wooden wall whose pre-seasoned timbers predate the house, having come from ships of an earlier period; this would have formed a chair back for the high table in an open hall with an opening in the roof to allow the smoke from a central fireplace to escape. (The charred beams are in evidence in the roof). Additionally, there are 2 original stone fireplaces, a spice store and a niche safe. During the 17th century the house was altered by the construction of a ceiling in the hall. In the 18th century a lean-to was added to cover the original entrance and partition walls built, plus a cellar constructed and windows added.
The Radnor Arms became a public House in the 18th century and became a private residence in 1992.
There are 23 pieces of evidence of the Radnor Arms’ origins in Aberystwyth University Archaeology Department.